Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

a choice you can live with


Every once in awhile during a friendly "debate," a pro-choicer will ask me, usually mid-conversation, "Catherine, have you ever considered the possibility that you might be wrong?"

I think this is an important question. And my answer to this important question, simply, is yes. I have considered the possibility that I could be wrong about abortion. As sound and as reasonable and as compelling as I (obviously) believe the pro-life position to be, I think every person who claims a position to be true naturally, at some point or another, considers the chance that he might be off. He could be mistaken. He may have his facts away from the mark.

But let's think about this a little more deeply. Let's suppose that I am wrong about abortion; it's actually a perfectly acceptable procedure, and I am quite concerned and bothered by it for no reason at all. (Granted, all of the embryological, philosophical, and sociological evidence is to the contrary... but let's just go with this). Then what? What are the ramifications if the pro-life position turns out to be false?

If I'm wrong, then I am guilty of trying to deny women a right that ought to be theirs. And not just any right, but a constitutional right. After all, Roe v. Wade claimed that abortion fell under the right to privacy in the Constitution. If I'm really trying to deny women a constitutional right, I'm making a tremendous mistake.

But let's turn the tables around for a moment. Have pro-choicers ever considered the possibility that they might be wrong? I think this is the more weighty question. After all, if I am wrong, remember what I am guilty of: trying to deny women a constitutional right. But if they are wrong...

If pro-choicers are wrong, they have the blood of millions of innocent human beings on their hands. They are directly responsible for widespread murder. A holocaust is happening in our nation, and they would fight that it remain legal.

If you are pro-choice, I beg you to look at the evidence on both sides of this debate. See which is more sound, more reasonable, more likely. There is way too much at stake here to be wrong. Until you are 100% certain that the pre-born are absolutely not human beings with an inalienable right to life, can you really safely assume that they're not and move forward with their destruction? Whatever these things are, they are being torn apart limb for limb, every single day. They sure seem strangely similar to human beings if they are not human beings. Abortion certainly looks alarmingly identical to murder if it is not murder.

I very much hope I'm not wrong about abortion. I'm as certain as I can be that I'm not. But if I am, I can live with the consequences. As much as I would never want to deny women a right that is theirs, I would choose that over committing mass murder in a heartbeat. At the end of the day, being pro-choice is too risky.




Vita Pro Omni!

1 comment:

  1. Amen. People don't think enough about what they're really SAYING when they claim to be pro-choice. The catchy, two-syllable nickname conveniently covers up the implied statement: "I do not believe abortion is murder."

    Let's face it. Abortion is either murder, or it's not. There are two options, and one of them MUST be true.

    But how many pro-choicers have you ever heard come right out and say that? "Hey Catherine! I'm pro-choice. That means I believe abortion is murder!"

    No. They don't talk about it that way. And that's what's exactly the problem with Roe v. Wade. It does not take a stance on whether abortion is murder or not. You probably know the text of it better than I do, but it basically says "We do not claim to know the answer."

    Um, okay. So that's fine, Mr. Supreme Court Majority, that you can't figure out whether or not abortion is murder. But how the heck do you go from THAT statement to making it legal? Wouldn't the safe bet be something like, "We don't know if abortion is murder or not, and until we get conclusive evidence that it is not, abortion will stay illegal?"

    It just defies logic.

    And soooo many pro-choice people in our culture maintain that illogical worldview (that of avoiding or refusing to answer the key question).

    Props for bringing it back to the key question, and for demonstrating with your blog and life that the pro-life position is the truly rational view.

    ReplyDelete